Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Teaser Tuesday

A little snippet of Riot I wanted to share, because I really love how this passage portrays Tom, my main character. I'm almost finished with the first draft of Riot, and I can't wait to share it with you guys.



My lips tremble. I wish I could stop crying. I wish I could use duct tape to keep the pieces of me together. “You know, there’s this… situation proposed by this philosopher that Chris told me about. It’s called the trolley dilemma, and it’s trying to explain morality and whatever. So imagine you’re in a train barreling down the tracks. The breaks are busted, and there are five workers about to be run over. You can’t warn them, but you can pull the lever to change the track. There is one worker on the second track further down. So, what do you do? Do you pull the lever and intentionally kill someone, or do nothing and let five people die?”

Dr. Laser blinks, and her brow furrows. “I don’t know what I’d do.”

“That’s been in my head ever since she died, you know? I’ve been trying to find the answer, the right answer, and I keep coming to the same conclusion. It doesn’t matter. It doesn’t matter what you do because no matter what someone’s gonna die and their family and friends will suffer forever. Maybe you could lesson the amount of suffering, but can you really measure it like that? No matter your choice—act or don’t, it’s gonna kill someone. There is no right answer.”

I scrub a hand over my face and take a shuddering breath. “There are no right answers anymore.”



Poor Tommy.

Peace,

-Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment