Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Walk So Kids Can Talk


So, this past December something pretty amazing happened. I started work at a child and family services facility working with kids with mental health problems, those who've been abused, suffering from sexual exploitation, drug issues, ect. ect. I'm currently working as a temp until the end of June and to say it's been life-changing would be an understatement.

As a teenager, I went through a lot of my own problems. Like every kid, I had my ups and downs, and more than once I relied on places like Kids Help Phone-- a charity organization that ensures kids have 24/7 access to counseling, information, and assistance. Kids Help Phone saves lives. I've seen first-hand the effects these organizations have from both sides of the coin, and it only makes me more determined to support them.

So, this May 6th, 2012, I will be joining the Kids Help Phone 'Walk So Kids Can Talk' to help raise money for youth mental health and well-being. I will be donning my YA Saves t-shirt and representing the young adult community in my walk. I'm planning on making a kickass sign (Just got to figure out how to make "Young adult authors kick serious ass" sound classy.) I plan on raising awareness not just for youth mental health, but I also want to spread the word on YA fiction, because hey, it saves lives too.

So how can YOU HELP?



I need all the help I can get. Feel free to donate here.

Any amount of money is good. Seriously. Pop a penny on that account and watch me hover out of my seat with glee. My goal right now is a humble $100, though I'm determined to raise as much money as possible in the next 32 days. If you can't donate anything, that's okay. You can still help by spreading the word about the fundraising.

As the date rolls closer, there will be more updates. Expect photos as well, when the big day comes around.

As a pre-emptive strike: THANK YOU. Not just for donating, not just for spreading the word, but clicking on my page and reading all the way through. It means a super-duper lot to me.

So, what are you waiting for? Let's get started! Let's raise that first $100! Go! Go! Go!

No comments:

Post a Comment