Sunday, January 2, 2011

Starting 2011 With good News

So, as many people do at this time of year, I spent my new years getting drunk and hollering at the top of my lungs come midnight. All in all, a pretty good night.

But the good news would come tomorrow morning at about 10 am, while I was depserately trying to sleep off my hangover.

On Dec 31, I sent out my first batch of queries. I didn't expect anything, as most agents are away on holidays. But at 1:30 I recieved an email from Michael Carr from Veritas Literary, who wanted to see my full manuscript. So, of course, I think nothing of it, send it out, and wait with fingers crossed.

While desperately trying to sleep off a hangover, I recieved a call from Michael. I missed the call, but when I pulled myself from bed, trudged to my email, I found something from Michael there. I just mutter, "This guy's fast" thinking that it was yet another rejection letter.

You can imagine my surprise when the email talked about how Michael was sorry he missed me and would try calling again at about noon.

I flipped. I think I did a literal backflip somewhere in there.

My best friend/beta reader was with me at the time, and we shared one of those screaming, jumping hugs that you only see in really bad cheerleader movies. I gathered my thoughts, prepared what I wanted to say, and waited for the call.

I think I about had a heart attack when the phone rang. I picked it up, fumbled, and managed to say hello. We spoke for forty-five minutes about my book, the marketing strategy, edits he had for it, future projects. I felt like I was in a daze. He did a lot of talking, about who he wanted to shop it to and whatnot. I think I just stood there with a stupid grin on my face.

He was very professional, very wonderful, and I'm happy to have Michael as my agent. We've got everything signed and after a few minor revisions, we're going to shop it to editors.

EDITORS.

This feels so bloody surreal. It's happening. I'm a big girl now. :D Dreams do come true sometimes.

Peace,

-Katie

6 comments:

  1. Wow! Congrats! :)

    I'm still doing the query thing; I've got a full out but haven't heard anything from anyone else yet. Darn Christmas vacation.

    But again, yay!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, Katie! How awesome...and what a wonderful solution to a hangover. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So exciting!! Congratulations :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! What brilliant news for the start of 2011. Really pleased for you, Katie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Katie, that is so friggin' awesome. Really, I'm truly happy for you. Michael seems to be the utmost in professionalism. He may be a newbie as an agent, but not in the know. I suspect he is going to have a long wonderful career as an agent and I can imagine how wonderful it will be to work with him. Congratulations and I can't wait to hear what's next for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats, I am so freaking happy for you! May you have an AWESOME career as a writer!!

    ReplyDelete